Big Ideas Start Here
Nearly 80% of businesses in Dallas are classified as small businesses, employing nearly 40% of the City’s workforce. Small businesses account for a significant number of jobs and play a key role in growing tax revenue. Small business is fundamental to workforce development, especially in minority, immigrant and under educated population communities. A small business is generally defined as having less than 20 employees, with micro businesses generally defined as having less than 5 employees.
Small businesses struggle for survival and tend to have a very high failure rate, especially in the first years after start up. In certain industries, the failure rate is as high as 90%. Small business success is dependent upon sound management and administration, procurement opportunities, and access to capital, talent, and markets.
Interested in starting your own business? Contact the Small Business Center to provide the following information:
- An Introduction to Small Business: What is a small business, understanding your business startup costs, and developing a business plan
- Selecting a Business Structure: Determining the business structure that works best for you
- Selecting a Business Name: Selecting your business name and getting it registered
- Taxation: What are your tax responsibilities, local to federal
- Permits, Approvals, Licenses & Regulations: Determining the best location for your business and getting the necessary permissions
- Additional Information: Home-Based Business Regulations, in English en español.
Entrepreneurship – Small Business Programs:
South Dallas/Fair Park Opportunity Fund
- Providing loans and grants to promote economic development and support human development initiatives in neighborhoods surrounding Fair Park.
Southern Dallas Investment Fund
- Spurring economic development within the southern Dallas boundary.
Southern Dallas Adaptive Reuse Grant
- Building improvements to eligible commercial building owners who are for- profit business operators in the building being improved.
Staff Contact: Anthony Barwick, Program Administrator, Entrepreneurship, [email protected], 214-587-1130