In 2019, the Dallas City Council approved two Neighborhood Empowerment Zones (NEZ) for the City of Dallas. These zone NEZ #10 was created for specific areas where additional economic development tools could prove beneficial to commercial properties and small businesses.
The NEZ program is managed by the City of Dallas’ Small Business Center. Please contact them at 214.670.3441 or sourcedallas.org.
A NEZ, as outlined in Chapter 378 of the Texas Local Government Code, must promote any of the following:
- An increase in the economic development in the zone
- An increase in the quality of social services, education, or public safety for residents of the zone
- Creation and/or rehabilitation of affordable housing in the zone
A municipality may create a NEZ by adopting a resolution that:
- Describes boundaries of the zone
- Determines that the creation of the zone benefits, and is for the purpose of, increasing public health, safety and welfare of persons in the municipality
- Finds that the zone satisfies requirements of Section 312.202 of the Tax Code (Property Redevelopment and Tax Abatement Act)
Please refer to each NEZ (NEZ #10) for specific investment or job retention/expansion requirements and for the assistance that may be available. Assistance may be a grant, loan, tax abatement or other form and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.