This grant program is designed to assist owner-operators in southern Dallas with improvements to underperforming or vacant buildings for new or continued use. Often, these buildings will be transformed from an old original use to a new use (a gas station to a restaurant, for example).
Building improvements to eligible commercial building owners who are for-profit business operators in the building being improved.
- Maximum building size 10,000 sq. ft.
- Maximum Grant amount $30,000
- Minimum project investment $150,000 (building improvements}
- Grantee must be owner of building and utilize 51% of building for business operation
- Building must be in southern Dallas (south of the Trinity River and south of Interstate 30 from downtown to the Dallas east boundary}
- Excludes South/Dallas Fair Park area, which will have a program designated for this geography
- Funds may be used for permitted uses under the Dallas Development Code, excluding any use that requires a sexually oriented business license under Chapter 4 1A of the Dallas City Code, or a liquor store, a pawn shop, a body piercing studio or a tattoo studio as those terms are defined by the Dallas Development Code
A pilot program established in 2014 by Dallas City Council provides reimbursement grants of up to $30,000 to property owners that invest at least $150,000 in private money (for building improvements).
- At least 51% of the building must be used for the property owner’s business;
- Buildings may not be larger than 10,000 sq. ft..
This program may partner well with the Property Assessed Clean Energy program for green building system improvements.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please contact staff for more information.