Texas Comptroller

The Texas Comptroller administers the state sales tax and franchise tax. You need a sales tax ID number if you do business in Texas and sell or lease tangible personal property here or sell taxable services.


To obtain your sales tax ID number: http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxpermit/


To apply, you will need:

  • Sole owner’s social security number.
  • Partnership social security numbers or federal employer’s identification numbers for each partner.
  • Texas corporation’s file number from the Texas Secretary of State.
  • All corporations’ social security numbers for each officer or director.
  • North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code required for all businesses. Look up NAICS code.
  • Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Parents/legal guardians may apply for a permit on behalf of a minor.

Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive your permit.

There are two Dallas field offices of the Texas Comptroller:

Dallas Northeast
9221 LBJ Freeway, Suite 100
Dallas, Texas 75243-3429
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Dallas Southwest
400 South Zang Blvd., Suite 900
Dallas, Texas 75208-6644
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Services Provided

Startup / Form a Business

  • Tax issues & ID numbers (Specialty)
Contact Information
Field Office
9221 LBJ Freeway
Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75243